THEGAYUK.com’s plan to safeguard your data.
We want to make sure that you’re happy with the data that we hold about you – and let you know how we look after that data.
Our commitment to you:
- We recognise that your data is yours and we do not own any information about you. It is not ours to keep so if you request to have your data removed, it will be. No trace, no hidden files, no reminders in a year’s time to rejoin. Nada.
- You can remove your data, including your profile, from any of the THEGAYUK.com services at any time, by using these instructions for our social network which we will call “the community” and use the email preferences at the bottom of any mailing list email we send to you.
- We will NEVER sell or pass your details on to 3rd party companies or organisations without your express permission.
- We will use any information you give us as a way to tailor services to you and make your web experience better.
- You can request and are entitled to see your data file, we are entitled, to charge a fee of £10 to meet the cost of providing you with your file, if your request is deemed manifestly unfounded or excessive or if there are repeat requests.
- We will need identification to prove your identity before handing over any information we may hold on you. If you cannot provide the details which we require to release data, we will not, unfortunately, be able to hand over that data.
Who are we?
We are THEGAYUK.com, shop.thegayuk.com, Nowtso.com, TheGayShop.co.uk and CelebPurr.com owned and operated by Pineapple Rock Ltd. You can get in touch with us by emailing admin @ thegayuk.com.
When do we collect data?
We collect data when you:
- Become a supporter
- Attend our events
- Enter a competition/survey
- Contribute to THEGAYUK.com
- Buy something from THEGAYUK’s retail partners
- Sign up to newsletters
- Post in our online community
- Join our social network
- Sign up for marketing communications
- Use mobile devices to access our content
- Use a desktop to access our content
- When you contact us via any available method.
Minors and Children
This service is not for anyone under the age of 18. By using this service or any of our services you agree that you are over the age of 18.
What data do we hold?
If you are a mailing list subscriber, the data we hold about you is fairly minimal. We hold the email address you sign up with and the IP address of the computer that you signed up with.
- We will use that data to provide you with a newsletter sent from one email address. In that newsletter will be an advert. This advert is contextual and not based on personal data. We do not use any of your data in deciding that advert. It is not customised to you but is a community at large advert.
- You have the opportunity to unsubscribe from that newsletter with every mailout that we send. Visit the preferences section at the bottom of the email to adjust your subscription.
- All unsubscribed accounts or accounts that use the “complaint” function provided by their email providers will have their data deleted within 10 days, but usually within 24 hours.
Social Community Data Collection
If you are a member of the community the information that we hold is slightly more substantial but totally voluntary and you can remove or add as much as you like from your account.
- The data we collect allows us to help match you to other users based on your data.
- It also allows us to bring you a better advert experience, by being able to provide you with content and adverts that will appeal to you, based on your data.
- We hold, but do not access, messages both private and public. This is for legal and reporting purposes. These chats are not encrypted and you should not assume that they are private.
- You can download your entire data file. Go to “preferences” and click on “account”. Click on “Export my Community information”.
- Your photos remain your property and we do not claim any ownership of them – and will never use them without your permission – except where you expressly permit us to use them to showcase your own account (i.e as your profile picture, or pictures you choose to share publicly).
- To ensure your location privacy, please make sure that any images you upload should have any location data (EXIF / GPS) removed. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data found in image files.
- When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
- If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
- If you have an account and you log in to this site, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
If you are a general website user.
- Analyse traffic so that we can provide better content to our readers and determine our readership levels.
- Provide our users with better adverts.
How long do we hold on to your data?
We only hold onto data for as long as we need to. Data that has not been used in 12 months, will be deleted. We will continue to hold on to your data until such time as it becomes apparent you are no longer interested or using our services. You can also request that data be removed from our services, provided you are no longer using our services.
Reactions, shares and likes
Who we share data with
- Google Analytics,
- Other companies owned, partnered with or operated by the G And J’s Group, including. TheGayShop, Diverse Retailing, The Pride Shop, Nowtso.com, GayFitnessUK, The Queer Store,
- Ad partners: Pixfuture / Rev Content and Taboola.
- Ads served by media.net are not based on personal settings but are contextual, meaning they will show adverts tailored to the content you are reading rather than the pages you’ve previously visited.
I have been added to your mailing list, but I didn’t sign up. Why?
Sometimes people are signed up to our mailing list service, by 3rd parties who think it’s a joke to add someone to a gay website. All emails are treated as double opt-ins. Which means unless the owner of the email address actively opts-in, your email will not be subscribed to any of our lists. Furthermore, we deleted all unactivated after two weeks.
I want to unsubscribe from your mailing lists, how do I do that?
At the top and bottom of every mailing list email we send to you there is a “manage preferences” or unsubscribe link. Simply click that link and you can manage your subscription options.
How long do you keep my unsubscribed email address for?
After two weeks we delete any unsubscribed email and all data attached to it. We hold on to no other information after this time.