Fennel & Chestnut Mushroom Pate
Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
Makes 2 ramekins (enough for 4 as a light starter)
Starter / Vegan / Minimal Ingredients
It’s simple and tasty food like this that strokes my vegan veneration. Whether you immediately scoop this from the food processor, warm, onto a seeded piece of toast or save for later and have in a sandwich with some home made pickled cucumber. I simple slice skinned cucumber, put on a small plate and douse in white wine vinegar.
MUSHROOMS – Mushrooms contain high levels of vitamin D, which is a vitamin a lot of us are deficient in without even realising. Polysaccharides and beta glucans within mushrooms are beneficial to the immune system function.
FENNEL – Fennel contains a healthy amount of flavanoids that give it strong anti-oxidant properties. When researchers tested the impact of fennel on animals, it has repeatedly shown to have anti-inflammatory properties and help prevent cancer. Fennel is a very good source of fibre too, as fibre helps flush out potential carinogenic toxins, fennel could be useful in treatment of colon cancer. High in potassium this vegetable is another winner for helping lower blood pressure. (SOURCE; http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=23 )
225g closed cup chestnut mushrooms, peeled & chopped roughly
1 fennel bulb, root removed & chopped roughly
3 sprigs thyme
1 garlic clove
1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper
Preheat your oven to 200c / 180c (fan) / Gas Mark 6
- Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper
- Mix together the mustard with 1 tbsp olive oil
- Place all the ingredients on the lined baking sheet, and smother with the mustardy-oil to coat all over.
- Roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes, the fennel should start to brown and the mushrooms shrivel slightly.
- Take out the oven and set aside for a few minutes.
- Tip the mix into a food processor along with the balsamic vinegar and pulse a few times.
- Add in a tablespoon of olive oil and pulse again a couple of times.
- Spoon into ramekins and serve.