Serves 2 | Prep 5 mins | Cook 30 mins
The flavours of this summon fond memories of visiting family in Cyprus when I was younger. The marriage of flavours is perfection. Sweet, salty, lemony, garlicky, and herby. For my palette it ticks every box for a simple starter. This could easily become a main by having quinoa or couscous along side it. As a starter, just a plain green salad with cucumber slices, and spring onion goes perfectly. You could even add some pistachios to the salad for extra texture.
HALLOUMI- A reduced fat or lighter halloumi will provide you with more protein within the cheese. Around 30g of the cheese provides you with 20% of your recommended intake of calcium. Usually made from goat’s or sheep’s milk, all milk contains tryptophans. Tryptophan is an essential amino acid that cannot be manufactured within our body. Tryptophan is what we are able to produce serotonin out of, which encourages positive mood and better sleep.
2 tsp herbes de Provence
2 tbsp olive oil
1 block light Halloumi, Sliced into 4
1 tbsp honey
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
Preheat your oven to 200c / 180c (fan) / Gas Mark 6
- Use a quarter of the lemon to slice into 4 rounds that will sit on top of the halloumi pieces.
- Squeeze the remainder of the lemon into a bowl and mix with the garlic, honey, olive oil and herbs.
- Sit the halloumi pieces in the bowl and toss gently in the marinade.
- Place the halloumi pieces in a baking dish, top with a lemon round each and drizzle over any marinade from the bowl.
- Roast in the oven for 15 minutes and turn each halloumi piece over.
- Roast for a further 10-15 minutes until the edges of the cheese start to turn golden.
- Remove from the oven and using a spatula to remove the halloumi, flip over onto plates so they are served lemon side up.
“Cooking Food Is One Thing… Sharing Food Is Everything” – From sunny Brighton, if you love my work then you’ll love my new book ‘Food For Friends’ – Available for Apple, Android and Kindle devises from TheGayShop.co.uk – Enjoy.