Mum’s Organic Lemon Drizzle Cake
Serves 1 mum or 8-10 slices depending on your portion
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins-1hr (dependant on your oven)
Who doesn’t love a lemon drizzle? More specifically, whose mum doesn’t love a lemon drizzle cake. My mum adores this cake, hence the name. Once baked you can freeze the cake for a month, or keep in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
LEMONS – The lemon is great for aiding digestion. It can also help you stay refreshed as has a cooling effect on the body. Lemons contain flavanoids which have been to exhibit cancer fighting properties. (SOURCE: https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/fruit/health-benefits-of-lemon.html ) For a more effective, healthier way of incorporating the lemon into your diet, why not start your day with a glass of lemon water.
225g organic self-raising flour
225g organic unsalted butter, softened
225g organic caster sugar
4 free-range eggs
1 organic lemon, zested
juice 2 organic lemons
100g organic caster sugar
Preheat your oven to 180c / 160c (fan) / Gas Mark 4
- Line a 8x21cm loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the softened sugar and butter together until creamy.
- Add the eggs, one by one, and slowly mix together.
- Sift your flour into the mix, and add the zest of one lemon.
- Spoon in the cake mix into the prepared load tin, and level the top with the back of a spoon.
- Bake the cake in the oven until a skewer inserted to the centre comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool in its tin.
- While cooling, mix together the juice of 2 lemons with 100g sugar.
- With a fork, prick the cake all over the top and pour the lemon sugar juice over the top.
- Leave to cool completely before removing from the loaf tin, and serving.