Steak Slice with Artichoke, Feta and Spinach Pasta
Serves 2 (with leftovers of the pasta)
Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Healthy Bones / Antioxidant Rich
This combination works really well together. A beautiful slab of beef sliced and topped upon a sticky onion, spinach and feta penne bake, with the lovely creamy sharpness of artichokes running through it. A weekend winner.
SPINACH – No wonder this was Popeye’s food of choice. 180g of spinach provides the following DRI; 987% vitamin K (healthy bones and teeth), 104% vitamin A, 84% manganese (another one for bones, and also skin integrity, collagen and blood sugar), 65% folate (skin, liver, eyes, hair), 39% magnesium (another good one for bones, and also heartburn), 35% iron, 34% copper, 32% vitamin B2, 25% vitamin B6, 24% vitamin E, 24% calcium, 23% potassium, 23% vitamin C, amongst others!
ARTICHOKES- A long standing digestive aid, first discovered by the Egyptians, used to also combat acid reflux, stomach discomfort, and bloating. Artichokes are also a good source of anti-oxidants; silymarin, caffeic acid, and ferulic acid. Artichokes are also great for detoxification and cleansing the liver.
BEEF- Around 85g of beef provides you with the following of your daily requirements; 50% protein, 39% zinc, 37% B12, 24% selenium, 20% phosphorous, 18% niacin, 16% B6, 14% iron, 12% riboflavin. ( SOURCE: http://www.beef.org/udocs/Beef%20Bytes%20Health.pdf )
1 red onion, chopped
1 shallot, chopped
1 garlic clove, sliced
1 can artichoke hearts, drained and hearts in half
100g bag young leaf spinach
100ml pasta cooking water reserved
½ block feta, chopped
250g penne pasta (I use Dove’s gluten free)
2 sirloin steaks
Preheat your oven to 220c / 200c (Fan) / Gas Mark 7
- Get a saucepan of boiling water on the go and cook the pasta according to packet instructions. Meanwhile…
- In a small frying pan heat a tablespoon of oil and over a high heat fry and char your shallot and red onion for 5-6 minutes.
- Add in the sliced garlic and fry for a further minute. Set Aside.
- Once your pasta is al dente, drain but remember to reserve 100ml of the cooking water.
- Mix together the pasta, artichoke hearts, spinach, onions and garlic, 100ml cooking water along with some of your feta (reserving some to sprinkle on top).
- Place into a baking dish, top with remaining feta and drizzle in olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes so you have a crispy, golden top.
- You want to get the steak on the go in time for when your pasta is ready to be taken out of the oven.
- Get your griddle pan really, really hot. I oil my steaks before frying, some people do some don’t.
- Cook according to guidelines below, and after the meat resting, cut into slices.
- Remove pasta from oven, plate up with the steak slices resting on top.
HOW LONG TO COOK STEAK
For between 2 and 2 ½ cm thickness steak:
Blue Fry for 1 to 2 minutes on each side and rest for 6 minutes.
Rare Fry 2 ½ minutes on each side and rest for 5 minutes.
Medium Rare Fry for 3 or 4 minutes on each side and rest for 4 minutes.
Medium Fry for 4 minutes on each side and rest for 3 minutes.
Medium Well Fry for 5 minutes on each side and rest for 2 minutes.
Well Done Fry for 6 minutes on each side and rest for 1 minute.