Crack Crispy Kale
Serves 1, but could be shared through gritted teeth
Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Uber addictive and really more-ish. If you like crispy seaweed from your local Chinese- then you’ll love this. I was feeling sloth-like when deciding to make these and opted for a pre-shredded bag of kale, as opposed to buying and preparing it myself. Sure, if I had prepared it myself I could have made larger style pieces- but I honestly don’t care as long as they can fit in my palm and shovelled to face.
The absolute key to success with this dish is keeping the kale as dry as dry can be. You want to initially rinse your kale to rid of grit and dirt, but after, lay spread out on thick kitchen towel and then top and press down to absorb as much water as you can. I did this twice. Waiting for these to be ready is probably the most difficult part of this recipe.
KALE – There are only 50 calories in 100g kale. Kale is really high in iron, per calorie more so than beef. (SOURCE: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-4408/Top-10-Health-Benefits-of-Eating-Kale.html ) Rich in vitamins A, C, K, kale has been marked as a “superfood” for years now.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
Pre-heat your oven to 180c / 160c (fan) / Gas Mark 4
- Wash the kale in a colander and dry, dry, dry with kitchen towel. Remove any thick root like parts from the kale as these will not be crispy, but rather chewy!
- Line a large baking tray with foil, shiny side up.
- Put the kale on top of the foil and drizzle in the oil and salt. Rub all together and lay out in a thin even layer.
- Place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Rotate baking tray 180 degrees and place back in the oven for a further 15 minutes. You can then eat these straight away or leave to cool. I prefer them straight from the oven.
If you enjoy these, then why don’t you experiment by adding a teaspoon of different spices with each batch you make. Chilli ? Five spice? Cumin? Even oregano!
“Cooking Food Is One Thing… Sharing Food Is Everything” – From sunny Brighton, if you love my work then you’ll love my new book ‘Food For Friends’ – Available for Apple, Android and Kindle devises from TheGayShop.co.uk – Enjoy.