Lamb & Lentils
Serves 2 | Prep 5 mins | Cook 25 mins
Earthy & spicy. I enjoy serving this crispy lamb dish with a Spiced Whole Roasted Cauliflower. Mainly because it goes wonderfully with the cauliflower’s leftover yoghurt marinade. If you didn’t want to serve the cauliflower with it then a normal low fat natural yoghurt would go nicely. Lentils and yoghurt are renowned for their beneficial digestion properties. This meal would also go really well served with warmed pita breads.
GREEN LENTILS- Lentils are a slow-burning energy giver from it’s complex carbohydrate composition. The high levels of soluble fibre mean that lentils can help lower cholesterol, reduce your risk of heart disease (as they also contain folate & magnesium) , and have great digestive health properties; prevent constipation, slow down digestion and stabilize blood sugar levels. (SOURCE; http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-5488/7-Health-Benefits-of-Lentils.html )
250g lamb mince
1 tbsp olive oil
1 can cooked green lentils, with its liquid reserved
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tsp cumin
Bunch of Coriander, finely chopped
Small Chipotle chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (I buy these from my supermarket dried and rehydrate them in hot water. Alternatively you could use a teaspoon of chilli powder, or omit if you’re not a fan of a kick)
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and begin to brown the lamb mince.
- Once browned add the cumin, garlic, and chilli to the pan and continue frying for a minute longer.
- Add the lentils to the pan and mix together with the lamb. You want to cook this all together for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want to crisp the lentils during this process. Don’t worry about any sticking to the pan as we will add a little liquid.
If the lentils are burning then reduce the heat.
- Add about half of the reserved liquid from the can to the pan and cook for a few minutes. You want a consistency that is leaning more towards a dry sauce.
- Serve with scattered coriander.
“Cooking Food Is One Thing… Sharing Food Is Everything” – From sunny Brighton, if you love my work then you’ll love my new book ‘Food For Friends’ – Available for Apple, Android and Kindle devises from TheGayShop.co.uk – Enjoy.