Serves 2 (with leftovers) | Prep 10 mins | Cook 20 mins
It cannot get much easier or simpler than this. Some veg, pasta, and water all in one pot, makes a winning dinner choice for Christmas Eve, keeping prep/cook/washing up and expense down before all round and inevitable indulgence on Christmas Day. You don’t even need to drain the water with this savvy self saucing delight!
200g fusilli longhi (or spaghetti / linguine will do!)
350g herby passata (jarred)
100g wild mushrooms
100g frozen petit pois
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 lemon, zest only
15g basil, leave whole
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp bouillon powder (or half a stock cube)
90g ricotta cheese
Parmesan (enough to go crazy with, it is Christmas!)
1) Add all the ingredients (except for cheeses) to a large saucepan or stockpot (you may have to break your pasta in half), stir around a bit and ensure the majority of the ingredients is covered by the 500ml water.
2) Stirring regularly, heat on high to reach boiling point and then reduce to a simmer.
3) Test your pasta after about 10 minutes, keep testing until al dente or cooked to your liking. Remove from the heat, remove the basil stalks and discard.
3) Stir in the ricotta, season with black pepper and a little salt.
4) Transfer to serving bowl(s) and adorn in parmesan and freshly torn basil leaves.
5) Served with salad and breads this meal could easily serve more people.
“Cooking Food Is One Thing… Sharing Food Is Everything” – From sunny Brighton, if you love my work then you’ll love my new book ‘Food For Friends’ – Available for Apple, Android and Kindle devises from TheGayShop.co.uk – Enjoy.