TOP 10: Favourite Gay Web Series3rd October 2014
The rapid growth of high quality and extremely well produced WEB SERIES has made us sit up and take serious notice. Covering all aspects of our community, there is literally something for everyone. Here are another favourite Top 10 that we’re currently hooked on. So ditch that TV remote and turn your Laptop on to see the programmes that we really deserve and want.
1) THE OUTS: We were quickly addicted to this series written/directed and starring ADAM GOLDMAN as one half of a Brooklyn couple who are both trying to discover if there is life and love for them after they break up. Funny and tender and extremely perceptive: you will be hooked after the 1st episode
2) HUSBANDS: Two unlikely LA gay celebrities get married. One is an out and proud rather fey TV host and the other a hunk who may be the LA Dodgers first Out baseball star. This wonderfully rich and insightful comedy has already had over 3 million viewers on YOU TUBE, and you will soon discover why it is such a smash hit.
3) THE 3 BITS: This is another Brooklyn based show but this time it’s about three siblings: one gay, one lesbian and one straight. Each have their own story to tell. It calls itself a queer show about sex, love, booze, drugs, friendship, family and amazing acts of stupidity. But mostly sex. Immensely enjoyable.
4) THE BOYS WHO BRUNCH: This smart sexy urban series has been hailed as ‘Sex In The City’ meets ‘Queer As Folk’. In an attempt to shake up the monotony of his life in New York City, Mason introduces his 3 best friends to each other and creates a social-circle of his own. He then proposes a weekly brunch dare, something they’ll have the 6 days of the week to do before the next brunch.
5) THE BATTERY’S DOWN: Shortly after Jake Wilson graduated from the University of Michigan the budding director, choreographer and actor then tried to follow his dream and make it big on Broadway. This web series is based on his life as a struggling New York actor. Great musical numbers and camp drama plus each week he seems to snare a big star for a cameo role including Miss Alison Janney, Cheyenne Jackson and Whoopi Goldberg to name but a few.
6) TWO JASPERJOHNS: The most bizarre of all the series on our list, this oddball comedy is the tale of nine semi-sane brothers from Ohio living in New York whose last names are Jasperjohns and two of them live together. We cannot get enough of it.
7) TOUGH LOVE: A fresh edgy unpolished series about what it means to be young, broke, queer and trying to make it in New York City.
8) LITTLE HORRIBLES: Is a darkly comedic web series following the poor decisions of a self-indulgent lesbian trying to navigate her thirties being single in L.A. Created by Amy York Rubin who wants us to laughs in the face of those painfully uncomfortable moments that no one wants to remember, but everyone does.
9) WHERE THE BEARS ARE: Follows the exploits of 3 bear roommates sharing a house in the hills of Silverlake. It is a hilariously fun comic crime caper that is best described as “The Golden Girls” meets “Murder She Wrote” with big, hairy, gay men.
10) BULK: An excellent series featuring bears this time in NY, with it’s gritty, raw and sexy drama.
It seems like we discover a new series almost every week, so we will keep reviewing the ones that we think you should know about. If we have missed your favourite, please let us know.