Serves 2 | Prep 15 mins Cook 15 mins
Herb up your life! This deliciously bronzed, herb spiked, panko crumb pork is super easy to put together and is a treat to the taste buds with a lemony undertone thrown in too. I served mine with Thyme Roasted Baby Leeks, steamed tenderstem broccoli, and a small whole jacket sweet potato each. The recipe is easily doubled and you could also apply the same method to flattened chicken breasts.
Pork is a great source of protein, and is also another good way of getting zinc into your diet. 85g of pork contains just under 2mg of zinc, and men require about 11mg a day (women 8mg). Zinc is an important mineral to consider for healthy immune system function. 85g of pork chop is also only around 137 calories. (SOURCE: http://www.livestrong.com/article/415403-what-are-the-health-benefits-of-pork-chops/ )
2 pork chops (without bone)
60g panko breadcrumbs
30g plain flour
1 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 tsp fresh sage, finely chopped
1 tsp basil, finely chopped
½ tsp garlic granules
1 lemon, zested
1 egg, lightly beaten
Preheat your oven to 200c / 180c (fan) / Gas Mark 6
- Set out the following in 3 separate bowls / plates alongside one another to create yourself a little workstation; plain flour, beaten egg, and panko breadcrumbs that have been mixed with herbs / lemon zest. (See picture).
- Dust the pork chops in flour and shake off any excess.
- Dip in the beaten egg to coat and wait for any excess liquid to drip out over the bowl.
- Then fumble the chops in the breadcrumb mix coating thoroughly.
- In a frying pan large enough to accommodate both chops, heat a tablespoon of olive oil over a medium to high heat.
- Fry the chops for 3 minutes on each side.
- Place the chops on a baking tray and place in the oven to finish cooking for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the chops from the oven and plate up with your desired sides.