There’s always a batch of these in my fridge every week- whether simply paired with a piece of toast, added to a salad, or even in a bolognese- these versatile tender tomatoes are sure to become a regular must in your kitchen.
The slow three-hour roast enables the tomatoes and oil (remaining oil makes an epic dressing spooned over salads) to take on all the flavour of the herbs and is perfect for wholesome Sunday tinkering in the kitchen, when you may well be feeling a little slow yourself!
TOMATOES – The beautiful red colour of tomatoes denotes that they are full of beta-carotenes which is really beneficial to our skin. Tomatoes contain high vitamin C, and also vitamins A & K. They are helpful when needing to boost your immune system and also have anti-cancer properties.
1kg plum tomatoes, halved lengthways with seeds scooped out
2 tsp dried oregano
2 fat garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tsp basil
1 tsp sugar
small bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped
240ml extra virgin olive oil
Preheat your oven to 120c / 100c (Fan) / Gas Mark ½
- In a small bowl combine the oregano, basil, sugar and a couple of scrunches of salt.
- In a large baking dish pour in half of the olive oil.
- Place the tomatoes in the oily dish with the cut side facing up and sprinkle over your combined herbs/sugar mix.
- Drizzle over the remaining oil and place into the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and turn the tomatoes over carefully, and back in the oven for another hour.
- Remove from the oven and turn tomatoes for the last time, and back in to roast for the next & final hour.
- Transfer half of the tomatoes to a bowl or serving dish. Pour over the majority of the oil, and scatter half the parsley and garlic.
- Place the rest of the tomatoes on top to form a layer, and drizzle with remaining oil, parsley and garlic.
- Set aside for an hour or so before covering and chilling in the fridge. These will keep for up to 5 days. Remove from the fridge half an hour before serving if eating cold.
“Cooking Food Is One Thing… Sharing Food Is Everything” – From sunny Brighton, if you love my work then you’ll love my new book ‘Food For Friends’ – Available for Apple, Android and Kindle devises from TheGayShop.co.uk – Enjoy.