Once upon a time, in the not too distant past, there wasn’t even an option for being gay on dating websites used mainly by straight people, but now OKCupid has begun offering select users twelve options to describe their sexual orientation.
What’s even more generous of them is that you don’t have to stick with just one, as they allow you to select “up to five” of those twelve to describe themselves. Some bright spark has worked out that’s a possible 1,585 different combinations.
Here are the twelve choices:
- Demisexual: no sexual attraction toward any person unless they become deeply emotionally or romantically connected to someone
- Asexual: does not experience sexual attraction
- Straight: attracted to opposite sex
- Gay: male attracted to other males
- Bisexual: attracted to both sexes
- Lesbian: female attracted to other females
- Questioning: not sure of sexual orientation
- Heteroflexible: mostly heterosexual, with minimal homosexual activity
- Homoflexible: mostly homosexual, with minimal heterosexual activity
- Queer: someone who does not conform to traditional sex or gender norms
- Pansexual: sexual or emotional attraction, desire, or romantic love toward people of any sex or gender identity
- Sapiosexual: sexual attraction based primarily on intelligence
When you have finally decided who you are, then you can pick a gender identity that best describes you too.
It’s great that such organisations and corporations are now starting to recognise that we are all different.
We have just one tiny reservation, and that is now incorporating them all as part of the LGBTQI community may make our collective title one very big mouthful.
Opinions expressed in this article may not reflect those of THEGAYUK, its management or editorial teams. If you’d like to comment or write a comment, opinion or blog piece, please click here.
Opinions expressed in this article may not reflect those of THEGAYUK, its management or editorial teams. If you'd like to comment or write a comment, opinion or blog piece, please click here.