This week a reader is worried about pains and aches he's developed in his testicles. Medical Director Dr Nitin Shori takes a closer look.


I sometimes get aches in my left ball. I’ve done a check for lumps but haven’t found anything odd – or unusual. There’s been no blood in my pee or cum.

The pain is like a dull ache that goes from the bottom of my balls to the pit of my stomach. It doesn’t last very long. Because it doesn’t happen all the time I haven’t been to the doctors about it, but wondering if I should.

Paddy, Dublin

Hello Paddy

Re-occurring pain anywhere is a reason to get checked and you should see your GP for an examination. It could be something entirely benign or something more serious although from what you say you don’t have other symptoms.

These are:
A new hard lump on the testicle
Swelling or enlargement of a testicle
An increase in firmness of a testicle
An unusual difference between one testicle and the other

However there is no harm in being on the safe side and ruling this out by visiting your GP or GUM clinic and if it is anything serious, the earlier it’s caught the more effective the treatment. If you get a significant acute pain that persists in either your testicle or abdomen, you should see your doctor for urgent review.

The advice listed above is not intended to replace or take the place of that of your own doctor, GP or medical professional who knows your full medical history. If in any doubt make an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible.

shop dildos for gay sex

Have you got a dilemma you’d like us to help you with? Click here to write to our team of experts.

This article was first published in September 2016