Makes 36 | Prep 30 mins | Cook 15 mins
Seasonal and sensational. Puff pastry is the stage for a creamy zingy celeriac slaw topped with plump king prawn or wasabi peas as a vegetarian option. These look really pretty and paired with their deliciousness will disappear rather quickly!
If you don’t want to make as many as 36 canapés, then the celeriac mix itself will keep in the fridge for a few days and would go wonderfully with leftover meats on Boxing day.
1 celeriac (you’ll want around 350g of celeriac once you have removed the tough skin via peeler/knife)
3 tbsp full fat greek yoghurt
3 tbsp olive oil mayonnaise
2 tsp dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 lemon, juice of
1 pack cooked and peeled king prawns
1 pack wasabi peas
36 frozen vol-au-vent pastry cases
Preheat your oven to 220c / 200c (fan) / Gas mark 7
- Cook the vol-au-vent cases as per packet instructions and leave to cool.
- Before removing the celeriac’s tough outer skin, make the sauce. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the yoghurt, mayo, mustard, garlic clove, and half of the lemon juice. Add a bit of pepper and salt to taste.
- Now remove the outside of the celeriac, I try and use a peeler for the majority of this task but you will need a knife for its hard root.
- Give the prepared celeriac a little rinse in water and begin to grate it.
- Add the grated celeriac quickly to its sauce in the mixing bowl, otherwise it will turn brown.
- Add the remaining lemon juice and stir it all together to combine. Cover and refrigerate until required.
- Spoon the celeriac mixture onto the cooled vol-au-vent cases and top with either king prawns or wasabi peas. Serve.
“Cooking Food Is One Thing… Sharing Food Is Everything” – From sunny Brighton, if you love my work then you’ll love my new book ‘Food For Friends’ – Available for Apple, Android and Kindle devises from TheGayShop.co.uk – Enjoy.