Makes 12 | Prep 15 mins | Cook 25 mins
I use grated parsnip for a seasonal and festive flavour in these mini frittatas, which is classically delicious with the honey and mustard.
If you would like to substitute the parsnip, or perhaps make more than one batch with different varieties, then think seasonal, and replace the 200g parsnip with the same amount of; grated fresh raw beetroot (they’ll turn pink!), finely shredded kale, leeks, or wild mushrooms. For a meatier mouthful, add some diced chorizo or pancetta when cooking off the vegetables.
1 onion (around 125g), finely chopped
2 small parsnips (around 200g), grated
2 big garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tsp honey
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1/2 pack (15g) parsley, finely chopped
6 organic large eggs
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp coconut oil, or oil of choice
Preheat your oven to 190c / 170c (fan) / Gas mark 5
- Heat your coconut oil in a frying pan and begin to cook off your onion and parsnip, I cook these out slowly, so a low to medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- For the final minute, add in your garlic and stir around the pan. Remove from the heat.
- On a 12 muffin baking tray, grease the individual moulds with a little coconut oil or oil spray.
- Evenly distribute the cooked vegetables between each muffin mould.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, parsley, honey, mustard and baking powder.
- Decant the egg mix into a pouring jug so you can now easily distribute the egg mix into each muffin mould.
- Use a fork to gently stir each mould.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes (you may need 5 minutes longer depending on your oven, but look for golden, firm tops to the frittatas).
“Cooking Food Is One Thing… Sharing Food Is Everything” – From sunny Brighton, if you love my work then you’ll love my new book ‘Food For Friends’ – Available for Apple, Android and Kindle devises from TheGayShop.co.uk – Enjoy.