This may be one of the most simplest recipes I do, in that it’s ingredients and effort are both minimal.
It is perfect for mid-week, no energy, no brainpower cooking. However this simplistic dish at the table is very well received, as it bursts with freshness from the lemon and parsley, with a touch of garlic. With ingredients and method being so easy, once you’ve cooked this once you should be able to recall it from memory for the next time.
I avoid wheat and use a “free-from” spaghetti, but you, of course, can substitute for normal spaghetti.
- About 115g of free-range chicken will provide the following of your recommended daily intake;
- 97% vitamin B3 (significant protection from heart disease, lowers levels of bad cholesterol, elevates “good” cholesterol HDL).
- 70% protein.
- 56% selenium (selenium deficiency, which some people who are HIV positive may have, has implications on immune function, depression, cardiovascular disease, cancer, hypothyroidism, infertility in males).
- 40% vitamin B6 (can prevent anaemia, and also used to treat heart disease, high cholesterol, cramps, skin conditions, and boosting the immune system).
- 36% phosphorous.
- 22% choline (liver protector).
- 21% vitamin B5 (great for acne and reducing oil production in the skin)
- 16% vitamin B12.
- The vitamin C content is higher than oranges (53% of your recommended daily intake in 30g of fresh parsley). Within the same 30g you will get 553% of your daily intake for vitamin K (healthy bones). It’s packed full of antioxidants, vitamin A, folate, iron. and can help neutralize carcinogens. It’s also great at neutralizing garlic breath! (SOURCE: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=100 )
- Containing a high amount of enzymes, parsley benefits digestive activity .
- The lemon is great for aiding digestion. It can also help you stay refreshed as has a cooling effect on the body. Lemons contain flavanoids which have been to exhibit cancer fighting properties. (SOURCE: https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/fruit/health-benefits-of-lemon.html )
3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 spring onions, sliced on the diagonal
1 garlic clove, sliced
1 pack fresh flat leaf parsley (finely chopped)
1 tbsp butter (optional)
250g mini chicken fillets, sliced into bite-size pieces
75-100g spaghetti, per person
- Get a large saucepan of boiling water on the go.
- In a wok heat a tablespoon of oil and a tablespoon of butter (if using), and fry the spring onions for 5 minutes, adding the garlic for the last minute.
- Add your spaghetti to the pan with boiling water.
- Add in the chicken along with lemon juice to your wok and cook out for 8-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
- Drain your spaghetti and add to the wok, along with all of the parsley. Mix well to combine, add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, and a scattering of black pepper.
- Remove from the frying pan with tongs into bowls and serve. For extra nutritional value serve with a simple side salad of romaine lettuce and vine tomatoes.
“Cooking Food Is One Thing… Sharing Food Is Everything” – From sunny Brighton, if you love my work then you’ll love my new book ‘Food For Friends’ – Available for Apple, Android and Kindle devises from TheGayShop.co.uk – Enjoy.