Series 6 of House of Cards will be Netflix’s last offering of that show- but apparently, it has nothing to do with the recent allegations against its star, Kevin Spacey.
Netflix announced yesterday that the sixth season, which is currently in production, will be it’s last, although it had apparently decided this before the “sexual advances” allegations against its star, Kevin Spacey.
The show, which has been one of the main boosters for Netflix’s epic rise to the top of the on-demand streaming platforms, trended on Twitter with hundreds of thousands of mentions after the reports hit the headlines.
The sixth season, which stars both Spacey and Robin Wright, is due to air in 2018.
A statement from the makers of House Of Cards for Netflix, Media Rights Capital, said that the team were “deeply troubled” about the allegations made against Spacey, by Star Trek: Discovery actor, Anthony Rapp.
The statement said,
“In response to last night’s revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time”.
The decision to end the show happened months earlier, according to the Guardian.
Many, implored Netflix to continue making House of Cards, without Spacey, just focusing on Robin Wright’s character, Claire Underwood, other demanded that the programme-makers immediately halt production.
Would I watch a house of cards with just Claire Underwood?
Yes I’d actually prefer it pic.twitter.com/enTQOM6lYQ
— zach (@ZachMorganBrown) October 30, 2017
Lol we can’t even get a woman president on goddamn “House of Cards” https://t.co/qIWDRqfL8Y
— Lauren Duca (@laurenduca) October 30, 2017
I will never forgive Spacey, not only for the sexual assault, but also for getting House Of Cards cancelled.
— Quark Sutton (@Kwekz_) October 31, 2017
Hey @Netflix…continuing to film the ‘last’ season of House of Cards doesn’t cut it. HALT PRODUCTION immediately and abort it now!
— Mark Dice (@MarkDice) October 31, 2017