Makes 6-8 slices
Vegetarian / Starter
Traditionally, the courgette is the vegetable of choice used to make this pate / vegetable loaf in Poland. I like having a wedge of this cold with something pickled alongside it, like little cornichons.
COURGETTES – A helpful source of vitamin C. The dietary fibre in courgettes can also help lower our cholesterol levels. The same fibre matched with the courgette’s water content will also make you feel full. The fibres and anti-oxidants help destroy carcinogens and their toxins from settling in the colon. Courgette’s are also great for our skin; hydration, anti-ageing, collagen formation, and puffy eyes.
MUSHROOMS – Mushrooms contain high levels of vitamin D, which is a vitamin a lot of us are deficient in without even realising. Polysaccharides and beta glucans within mushrooms are beneficial to the immune system function.
400g courgette, grated
200g baby mushrooms, finely chopped
250g breadcrumbs (I used a gluten free bread and blitzed)
200g grated mature cheddar
1 onion, finely chopped
3 eggs, divided into yolks & whites
2 fat cloves garlic
15g fresh parsley
1 tsp dried marjoram
Preheat your oven to 180c / 160c (fan) / Gas Mark 4
- In a large saucepan cook your mushrooms in a tiny glug of oil until they have browned, and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine; courgette, cheese, breadcrumbs, onion, garlic, fresh parsley, marjoram, 3 egg yolks, cooked mushrooms and a good serving of freshly cracked black pepper. Mix with a wooden spoon thoroughly.
- With the 3 egg whites, begin to beat and continue until stiff.
- Incorporate the egg whites gradually, delicately into the courgette mix.
- Line a greased loaf tin with baking paper.
- Transfer the courgette mix carefully by the spoonful into the prepared loaf tin, smoothing over the top of the mix once completely transferred.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Remove and set aside to cool. Use the baking paper edges to carefully lift the loaf out of its tin. I love this from the fridge kinda cold!
“Cooking Food Is One Thing… Sharing Food Is Everything” – From sunny Brighton, if you love my work then you’ll love my new book ‘Food For Friends’ – Available for Apple, Android and Kindle devises from TheGayShop.co.uk – Enjoy.