Wondering why you’re not getting that second date? Have you checked your breath?
A new study has revealed that it takes a potential suitor just 15 minutes to access whether they want that all important second date with you – and there are three things that count more than anything else. Your stinky breath. Your loudness. Your ex.
Apparently, 60 percent of us think that someone having bad breath is enough to cancel any notions of a second date with them – followed by being loud and obnoxious (59%) and banging on about an ex (51%)
Two thousand people were surveyed by the world’s largest dating app, badoo, and asked about their thoughts about dating.
It takes the average person just 13 seconds to decide if they are attracted to someone and a two-hour dinner and drinks date was the best way to get to know someone properly.
The study also found two-thirds of daters think people have lost the art of conversation due to busy schedules and relying too heavily on online communication, meaning face-to-face dating has become more difficult than ever. As such, more than half of those polled find themselves struggling to engage in relaxed dialogue when meeting someone for the first time.
Gaston Tourn, CMO of Badoo, commented, “Despite us living in a digital age, a real life one-on-one date is always going to be the best way to see if sparks fly and the conversation flows. The clock is on for those first 15 minutes for people to show off their true personalities.”
Gaston continues: “Our biggest aim is to get people offline and meeting face-to-face, so we’re actually launching Badoo Live, a live streaming feature this summer, to encourage real-life interactions and more genuine connections. We don’t just care about swiping or matches – we care about real life dates – the rest is up to you!”
The research showed that some things are better left unsaid, with ‘the ex’ being the ultimate no-go area of conversation for singletons. 59 per cent of adults say you should never talk about sexual past, while 39 per cent say discussions shouldn’t touch upon starting a family immediately.
Those who are obsessed with social media, constantly check their phone throughout the date and those who act loud and obnoxiously can also expect not to hear back from a potential suitor.
So what are the 50 biggest turns off?
- Bad breath from not brushing teeth
- Being loud and obnoxious
- Banging on about an ex-partner
- Sweating profusely
- Constantly checking their phone
- They talk politics all evening
- Chewing gum loudly
- Social-media obsessed
- Vaping indoors/at the table
- They spend the date blowing their own trumpet
- Texting or taking a call on the date
- Being a bit too touchy-feely
- Failing to ask the other person about themselves
- They leave you on your own to go for a cigarette
- Having a psycho ex
- They conveniently forget their wallet
- Talking about mummy or daddy
- Talking too much so you can’t get a word in edgeways
- Snorting when they laugh
- Eating with their mouth full
- Over-familiar banter
- The use of cheesy chat up lines
- Not at least offering or making an attempt to pay the bill
- Talking about soap operas like they’re real life
- Admitting they have a high / low sex drive
- Turning up with a poem in hand
- Weird mannerisms such as blinking too much or a jiggling leg
- A terrible first kiss
- Being too keen too quickly
- They drink several alcoholic beverages in the first hour
- Boasting about their job
- They’re wearing a bizarre choice of clothing
- Not offering to go halves on the bill
- They agree with everything you say
- Having a yin-yang tattoo
- They’re either way to tall or short for you
- They constantly clear their throat
- Talking about body image or size
- Laughing too loudly at jokes
- They make loads of trips to the toilet
- Being overly complementary
- They use a toothpick
- Admitting they like reality TV
- They have a weird laugh
- Being a veggie/vegan
- Opening up too much
- Bad shoes
- Admitting they still live at home
- Suggesting seeing a boring rom-com at the cinema