By The Gay UK, Oct 25 2014 06:47PM
Coffee Jelly with Cream
Prep 5 mins (3 hours minimum chilling)
Unusual Dessert / Inexpensive / Quick & Easy / Minimal Ingredients
Coffee lovers and addicts will adore this meeting of dessert and post-dinner coffee. In an unusual twist on a kids party pudding normally served with ice cream comes a surprisingly good and sophisticated version that is perfectly paired with cream. This dessert is not overly sweet and has a distinctively clear taste of coffee. The recipe is easily halved if you would like to make less. Serve in tumblers for pretty presentation.
COFFEE – 1 cup of coffee provides the following of your daily recommended intake; 11% B2, 6% B5, 3% of manganese and potassium, 2% of magnesium & B3. Although these are small amounts, most coffee drinkers are likely to have more than 1 cup a day. Coffee is also a great source of anti-oxidants. Other health concerns coffee is believed to help with are; protection from alzheimer's disease, dementia, lowering risk of Parkinsons, protecting the liver, reduce risk of depression, lowering risk of stroke, and certain cancers.
8 tsp high quality instant coffee
2 sachets gelatine (12g each) – or use 8 gelatine leaves
30g caster sugar
1000ml cold water
230ml hot water
Double cream, to serve.
1. Pour the 230ml hot water into a bowl and sprinkle the gelatine onto the hot water. (it is important that gelatine is added to the water and not the other way around).
2. Stir quickly until mixed thoroughly.
3. In a large bowl combine the instant coffee with some of the cold water from the 1000ml you have measured out. Whisk until the coffee has dissolved entirely.
4. Pour in the remaining cold water whilst stirring.
5. Add the water with the gelatine mix in it to the coffee and stir thoroughly.
*You could at this point add a shot of whisky for another flavour, if you like.
6. Pour into a mould, casserole dish or whatever will accommodate the jelly mix in your fridge. You want to be able to transfer the jelly once set into tumblers so when you pour cream over the top there are various nooks and crannies for the cream to flow down and look pretty on.
7. Chill for at least 3 hours in the fridge.
8. Serve in tumblers with cream poured over the top.