Makes 4 burgers | Prep 10 mins Cook 1 hour
Smoky sweet potato burgers that are packed with antioxidant power. It may seem like a while to cook, but these delicate patties will pay you back in health benefits, as opposed to a normal beef burger. I make a simple garlic mayo for these using 1 garlic clove finely chopped, 3 tbsp light mayo and a handful of chopped parsley. These are also beautiful with my Fennel & Red Cabbage Slaw.
You could follow the recipe up to step 5 and then keep the patties in the fridge to be cooked the next day.
SWEET POTATO – One medium (200g) of sweet potato will provide the following DRI; 213% vitamin A, 52% vitamin C, 49% manganese (bone production & skin integrity), 35% copper (immune system), 35% B5 (good for acne / oily skin), 33% B6 (the “good mood” vitamin, brain function), 28% biotin (good for hair loss, nails, healthy skin, supports metabolism and could aid weight loss, lowers cholesterol, regulate blood sugar), 27% potassium (counteracts sodium, lowers blood pressure, healthy digestion), 26% fibre, 18% B3, 17% B1, 16% B2, 15% phosphorous. (SOURCE: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=64 )
RED ONION – The red onion contains a bioflavanoid called Quercetin. Quercetin has been found to contain anti : fungal / bacterial / inflammatory, and cancer fighting properties. One study suggests that half an onion a day could reduce the risk of stomach cancer by 50%. (SOURCE: http://www.healwithfood.org/health-benefits/eating-red-onions.php )
1 red onion, chopped
½ large sweet potato, peeled and in small cubes
¼ tsp cumin
½ tsp herbes de Provence or Italian herbs
1 tsp smoked paprika
3 tbsp sweetcorn (frozen is fine)
4 tbsp kidney beans, cooked
6 tbsp breadcrumbs (I used a gluten-free seeded brown bread)
Preheat your oven to 230 c / 210c (fan) / Gas Mark 8
- In a large saucepan heat two tablespoons of olive oil and fry the onion, garlic and sweet potato over a low heat for 15-20 mins or until soft.
- Transfer the onion, garlic and sweet potato into a large bowl where you will now mash together along with all the spices. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the sweetcorn, kidney beans, and breadcrumbs and mix well to combine.
- Wet your hands for the next bit. Mould the burger mix into 4 equally shaped patties.
- Put a sheet of greaseproof paper on a baking sheet, and then put your patties on top.
- Put in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and carefully flip with a spatula. Put back in the oven for a further 15-20 minutes.
- Serve on buns with salad, tomato, onion rings, or however you wish to dress it.
“Cooking Food Is One Thing… Sharing Food Is Everything” – From sunny Brighton, if you love my work then you’ll love my new book ‘Food For Friends’ – Available for Apple, Android and Kindle devises from TheGayShop.co.uk – Enjoy.