I encourage you even if you’re able to live a non-restrictive diet, to try these little fluffy cups of coconut gold! My friend was amazed that these are both gluten and dairy free and said it was the best “free from” cake she had ever had. They are delicate and lovely. Get involved!
These muffins are packed full of coconut which are a good source of; copper, calcium, iron, manganese, magnesium, and zinc. The Koko dairy free alternative that I use is also a great source of calcium and has added vitamin D2, and B12!
I love using the Parisian company My Little Day (INSERT WEB LINK: http://en.mylittleday.fr/ ) for baking accessories like the cups you can see in the pictures. They also have a fantastic range of straws and other party accessories that bring the je ne sais quoi that the Parisians’ do oh so very well.
300ml milk alternative (I used Koko dairy free milk which is made from coconuts to reinforce the coconut flavour here)
290g gluten-free self raising flour (I used Doves)
160g desiccated coconut
130g caster sugar
2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
5 tbsp melted butter alternative (I used Pure sunflower spread), melted
1 tbsp vanilla extract
½ tsp salt
Preheat your oven to 180c / 160c (fan) / Gas Mark 4
- In your mixing bowl pop in your flour, sugar, coconut, baking powder and salt and mix well to combine thoroughly.
- In another bowl, whisk up your eggs along with the milk and vanilla extract.
- Make a dip or a well in your coconut flour mix, and now pour in your eggy milk.
- Stir the ingredients to mix well.
- Now add your melted butter into the cake batter and mix well again.
- Your cake mix is now ready to be decanted into muffin cases. Don’t overfill them otherwise they will just explode up out of the sides. ¾ full is usually best.
- Place in the oven 25 minutes. You can test if your cakes are ready if a skewer comes out clean after being inserted into the centre of one.
“Cooking Food Is One Thing… Sharing Food Is Everything” – From sunny Brighton, if you love my work then you’ll love my new book ‘Food For Friends’ – Available for Apple, Android and Kindle devises from TheGayShop.co.uk – Enjoy.