RECIPE | Green Eggs And Ham, Christmas Morning Surprise19th December 2015
Makes 6 | Prep 20 mins | Cook 20 mins
Whip the batter up for these make-ahead muffins on Christmas Eve and then place in the fridge in their baking tray until you’re ready to cook them in the oven on Christmas morning. Now that’s a wake and bake!
They smell amazing as they’re cooking and come out festively green, packing an energy & antioxidant punch from Matcha green tea. You can of course leave the Matcha out if you want to (although it’s undetectable on the palette), and vegetarians can swap the pancetta for wild mushrooms or cherry tomatoes.
6 large organic eggs
100-150g cubed pancetta
25g grated parmesan (or cheese of choice)
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder (or 1 finely chopped garlic clove)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp matcha green tea powder (optional)
small handful pumpkin seeds
- Grease a 6” mould muffin baking tray with butter or oil.
- Dry fry the pancetta in a pan until golden and crisp (about 5 mins on high). Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen towel, placing another piece of towel on top, pressing down to soak up excess oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 6 eggs.
Sieve in the baking powder and matcha green tea. Add the garlic powder, oregano, and parmesan, continuing to whisk well together for a few minutes.
- Transfer the egg mix to a jug so you can now easily pour the mixture into the muffin moulds. Distribute the pancetta pieces (reserve some for scattering at the end) between the moulds at this point too. Cover and put in the fridge until morning, or if cooking straight away, continue with below steps…
- Have your oven heat to 200c / 180c (fan) / Gas Mark 6.
- Use a teaspoon to give each muffin a little stir and top with a scattering of pumpkin seeds.
Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes until they have risen slightly, and are firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in their tin for about 5 minutes before serving, scatter over any reserved pancetta. Epic either hot, warm or cold.