Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Makes 12 Cookies
Quick & Easy / Minimal Ingredients
Chewy cookies with an unexpected citrus-like tang from the use of pomegranate molasses (a fruit syrup made from pomegranate juice reduction). These taste surprisingly light considering the use of a thick syrup, and the combination with the slightly salty pistachio kernels is delicious, unique and certainly moreish.
Even the molasses of Pomegranate are high in anti-oxidants (especially vit. C). Equally pistachios contain a fair amount of anti-oxidants; carotenes, vit. E, and polyphenolic compounds. Immune system essentials; copper, iron, zinc, and selenium also feature.
210g plain flour
100g pistachio kernels
100g caster sugar
60g pomegranate molasses
1 vanilla pod, split and seeds scraped
½ tsp baking powder
Pre-heat your oven to 200c / 180c (Fan) / Gas Mark 6
- Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper and spray with a smidge of cooking oil.
- In a small saucepan, melt your butter. Just before it’s completely melted add in the pomegranate molasses to warm through, and combine together.
- Transfer the melted ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the vanilla pod seeds and sugar and beat together until combined completely.
- Tip in the flour, baking powder, and pistachios and mix thoroughly to create your cookie dough.
- At this point I put the bowl in the fridge for 5 mins just to cool slightly. You don’t have to do this but I find it makes the dough easier to shape.
- Roll equal shape balls of the dough and space out on the baking sheet, bear in mind they will spread out ever so slightly whilst baking.
- Press each ball piece down slightly and now put the baking sheet in the oven for the next 8-10 minutes.
- Even if your cookies feel soft & airy to touch, fear not, they will harden as they cool. If you prefer a crunchier biscuit-like texture then leave in the oven for a few minutes longer.
“Cooking Food Is One Thing… Sharing Food Is Everything” – From sunny Brighton, if you love my work then you’ll love my new book ‘Food For Friends’ – Available for Apple, Android and Kindle devises from TheGayShop.co.uk – Enjoy.