Lamb Tajine Soup
Serves 4, or 4 x work lunches
Prep 10 mins
Cook 60 mins
I really wanted to capture the essence of a Moroccan classic in a bowl. Something to brighten my day at work, and trick me into thinking I’m abroad where the sun shines all day long. I had some leftovers from my Roasted Med Veg and decided to create this recipe. If you don’t “just so happen” to have roasted med veg leftovers, then most supermarkets do offer a frozen version which has been pre-roasted for you- simply use / cook them in the same way in the method below.
I’m very aware of how many fruit and vegetables I am consuming in the day and this vegetable based soup will definitely help you on your way to achieving 7 a day. Three heaped tablespoons of cooked vegetables count as 1 portion.
ANTIOXIDANTS – The beta carotene in this soup is evident from it’s vibrant colour. Tomatoes, carrots, peppers, and onions are all antioxidant havens and will help promote healthy skin and give your immune system a boost. Tomatoes and onions also have documented coverage on their anti-cancer properties.
1 tbsp carotino oil (or any other healthy cooking oil of your choice, I use carotino oil for its colour and vitamin properties)
250g cooked roasted med veg (tomatoes, peppers, courgettes etc.)
6 vine tomatoes, chopped
3 onions, finely chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 lamb stock cube (made up with 1ltr of water)
½ tbsp sweet chilli sauce
½ tsp caraway seeds
½ tsp cumin
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry off the onion for 10 minutes.
- Add the carrot, tomato, and spices until the tomatoes soften.
- Tip in your roasted vegetables along with the stock.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer until the carrots are tender.
- Use a hand blender or other kitchen instrument to blend the soup until smooth.
- I think it looks pretty to dry-roast some extra caraway seeds until they start to pop in the pan, and add on top of each serving, along with a drizzle of oil.
“Cooking Food Is One Thing… Sharing Food Is Everything” – From sunny Brighton, if you love my work then you’ll love my new book ‘Food For Friends’ – Available for Apple, Android and Kindle devises from TheGayShop.co.uk – Enjoy.